Learning a New Skill

Photo by Oliver Sjöström from Pexels
This summer, while in Hawaii, I took a surf lesson. It was completely by accident as I have never surfed nor have I wanted to learn to surf... I take that back, I have watched surfers and thought it may be fun but I have let fear dictate that I did not want to learn.

But then it happened. I won a surf lesson. I love to win. After the excitement of the win, I realized that I would have to go into the middle of the Pacific to surf.

Immediately my brain gave me all the reasons it would not be possible.

I would say to my brain, "No, no, this can be fun."

I got my board, went into the water and could not catch a wave.

I wanted to quit every time I fell.

I would have to coax myself, "Maybe I will catch the next one."

Just as I was ready to quit and sit on the beach while the rest of the class finished the lesson, I had a very useful thought, "How about just having fun in the water for the remainder of the lesson?"

I surfed in Hawaii.

Learning the skill to stop overeating is similar to learning to surf. I teach a new skill, not a diet. I help my clients build a muscle within the brain, much like building a bicep.

Often my clients come to me with a history of failed attempts and hesitation in starting as a beginner once again. There will be major fails and major successes. It can be awkward in the beginning, challenging, you may be put in positions that are unfamiliar. However, when the skill is mastered, the weight loss is permanent.

I have seen my weight loss clients use this same skill to create bigger goals. Working with a coach teaches you how to build your brain, to create neuropathways. It's amazing.

Are you willing to be a beginner again?