Listen and act

Photo by Magda Ehlers from Pexels
Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rocks.

At the start of Advent, I encouraged my dear readers to contemplate on a word for the new year. I love embracing a word, or a theme. I find it far more effective for me opposed to resolutions. Especially as I learn that more and more people around me decline in creating resolutions. The idea is that a theme guides one’s actions. How does it happen?

I like to ask great questions.

Our brains are pretty remarkable problem solvers. When we ask great questions, our brain seeks great solutions. On the contrary, if we ask terrible questions, our brain with full force, will also seek solutions.

For instance, ask yourself questions that create a sense of peace, excitement, love or curiosity. How might I embrace my word today? What is so great about my word? Can I find an example in this day to strengthen that word as my theme?

I would classify terrible questions as creating a sense of fear, restriction, suspicion, or limitation. Why won’t this work? Why don’t I have it already? How is the world against me?

A good coach asks good questions. To create a self-coaching practice, get in the habit of asking good questions. A great litmus test for questions is the feeling it creates. The more in tune you become on your emotions, the easier it is to unlock great solutions. The value in working with a coach is perspective. When you are in the middle of your own life circumstances, it can be challenging to question what or why things are occurring. A coach can help to create distance, or perspective. Often, I am told that it is intimidating to work with a coach because it forces one to examine one’s life. My response is to notice the judgement, be compassionate to that judgement, then decide if you are able to suspend that judgement to reach the results that you desire? If the answer is yes, I would encourage you to contact me and request a free discovery session. You may be one question away from reaching your desired goal.